Monday, March 26, 2007

Conclusion

While completing my personal inquiry, my understanding and appreciation for manipulatives has grown. I originally thought manipulatives were simply physical objects which students used to count or see three dimensional figures. I assumed they would be given to students as a last resort, used only when students could not understand a mathematical concept. Thanks to this project, my opinion has changed.

I have learned the incredible value of manipulatives and how they can make abstract concepts concrete for learners, allowing them to understand ideas which would otherwise have been unattainable. However, I also discovered students do not automatically link a mathematical idea with the manipulative they are using. Students must be given time to reflect on their learning and intensive instruction may be required to introduce students to manipulatives and what they represent.

One great personal gain I made through this research was the collection of manipulatives I can eventually use in my classroom. I have found printable manipulatives, virtual manipulatives and those which I can make by hand in my classroom. I will be able to create tools for learning for my students with little to no cost. Thankfully, I was also able to find information on how to select and effectively use manipulatives. This will hopefully take much of the guess work out of choosing manipulatives to use in my classroom.

Though I have learned a great deal from this personal inquiry, I still have question I would like to answer if the time was available. These include:
What manipulatives are most appropriate at each grade/developmental level?

Are there manipulatives which should be avoided depending on learning disabilities?

What manipulatives are popular in Special Education classrooms?

Do schools supply manipulatives or are they a teacher’s responsibility?

What should I expect to be supplied with in my first year?

What are students’ opinions on the use of manipulatives?

Do students have favorite manipulatives?

No comments: